Monday, May 27, 2019

"Daylight" Salsa (Nightshade Free!)

Happy Memorial Day!
Daylight Salsa on a tortilla chip

I am extremely grateful to those who sacrificed their lives for this country.  Ronald Reagan stated at a Veterans Day national ceremony in 1985 that our fallen soldiers gave up two lives - " the one they were living and the one they would have lived."  I think this is a reason to be grateful and to celebrate the life we are blessed with now.  So for everyone having a memorial day cookout with friends, family, and neighbors, enjoy this beautiful day in honor of the veterans who aren't with us anymore.

I have another reason to celebrate too.  Since last Tuesday on the 21st, reintroducing almonds has been a success!  I started small and easy, with 5 organic, roasted almonds a day.  Over the weekend, I started having a little almond butter with my smoothies or with a banana.  No stomach upset!  I am so excited.  This opens not a window but a giant door in the room of acceptable ingredients and recipes for me.  However, I am going to continue to create AIP recipes for the blog and for any readers out there who are strict AIP or just simply nut free.

Speaking of which, here is a recipe without any nuts - not that you would put nuts in a salsa.  More importantly, it is NIGHTSHADE FREE!  That's why I call it "Daylight" Salsa.  I was thinking of the opposite of the word nightshade.  Also, you know, mango, yellow, sun... the name works!


There are a few optional ingredients that aren't AIP.  Since black pepper and cardamom are fruit spices and cumin and coriander are seed spices, they aren't strict AIP, but they can usually be reintroduced relatively soon.  So, for those of you like me who follow AIP but have reintroduced simple foods such as fruit and seed spices, throw these ones in.  But for those who are avoiding all non-AIP ingredients, don't worry, they won't be missed in this recipe.  In the Daylight Salsa, the flavors that come through the most are the lemon, mango, cinnamon, and onion, in my opinion.

I served this salsa at my family's memorial day get together with our family friends.  I got plenty of compliments and a request for the recipe!  My mom said she liked the tartness and spiciness, and my sister commented on the hint of cinnamon and said it was better than the normal salsa!  Because I can have chia seeds (a non-AIP pseudo-grain), I used these tortilla chips by Siete.  They are grain free, and all AIP with the exception of ground chia seeds.  Along with tortilla chips, this salsa is also good served in salad or on a burger.  The possibilities of a salsa are endless!



Ingredients
  • ¼ C cilantro
  • ¼ C green onion (about 1 big stalk)
  • 1 C mango (fresh or frozen)
  • ½ C cucumber (about ½ cucumber) 
  • ½ C onion (about ⅓ onion)
  • ½ C shredded radish
  • ¼ C lemon juice (1 lemon)
  • 1 tbsp garlic (3 to 5 cloves)
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp ginger
Optional (non-AIP):
  • ½ tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • ¼ tsp cardamom
  • ¼ tsp coriander

Directions
  1. Finely mince or chop the cilantro, green onion, mango, cucumber, onion, radish, and garlic
  2. Combine in a large bowl
  3. Juice the lemon and add in the juice
  4. Stir in the spices
  5. Stir mixture well
  6. Allow salsa to marinate in fridge for at least a couple hours (suggested overnight)
Substitutions
- pineapple, apple, or peach for mango
- lime juice for lemon juice

No comments:

Post a Comment