Friday, May 10, 2019

A note on Analyzing Food Responses

Hello from my dorm!

My mom just told me something the other day that made me think of AIP and how the diet is supposed to help us analyze our bodies responses to food.  She told me how she ate a bunch of brownies and ended up with a massive headache that night and into the next day.  She concluded that she doesn’t do well with chocolate.  Well, maybe that’s the case.  I wouldn’t know, I’m not my mom.  But I reminded her, it’s different when you eat a whole bunch of something versus when you eat a little to moderate amount.  After thinking about it, my mom realized that she could handle a little chocolate - just not as much as several dark chocolate brownies slathered in rich chocolate frosting.


The mistake is generalizing.  It’s safer to do this, because you feel like you’re eliminating any possible suspect foods.  But you could potentially miss out on good foods that your body can tolerate!  I’ve made this mistake in the past. 

Last week, I was eating nothing but fruits and vegetables, yet I was bloated and more tired than usual.  It was easy to assume that I can’t tolerate fruit well.  After all, I have IBS and fruit is normally high-FODMAPS.  But I have to take into account if it’s three bowls of banana nice cream after an already filling dinner.  Obviously that’s not going to make me comfortable!  I shouldn’t have generalized from the drastic amount of fruit I was putting into my body.

It’s been hard, but I’ve been trying to cut back on fruit so I can determine once and for all how much I can handle.  The conclusion is, instead of generalizing that I can’t eat any fruit without stomach aches, I can handle one fruit at a time, no more than three times a day.  Finding that out specifically has allowed me to still enjoy fruit without worrying about a reaction, as long as I stay within my new guidelines.

It’s different than taking one sip of coffee and immediately getting stomach pains.  I tried that after three months, and it didn’t go so well.  I am confident that coffee is no good for me.  However, some reintroductions have been confusing to me, because I’m not sure if it’s causing certain symptoms or not. 

So this is just a reminder that amount plays a factor too.  Long story short, one time I ate so much coconut that I threw up.  But I can still tolerate some coconut.  I hope this blog post helps anyone analyzing their food reactions!

No comments:

Post a Comment