Friday, April 12, 2019

Healthy Oatmeal Cookies

This is a recipe for oatmeal cookies that's Paleo/AIP + egg yolks and oats!
I'm a sucker for oatmeal cookies.  My family has a recipe that we've made together since I was a little kid.  Being as nostalgic as I am, I had to try and develop a recipe that tastes just as good without any white flour or refined sugar.

Speaking of being able to eat oats, I actually decided to not include oats in my personal AIP diet anymore.  The high fiber content prompts IBS symptoms and in general I need to focus on more protein and vegetables.  But to everyone else who can eat oats, I encourage this as a treat because oats still have a lot of nutrients and lots of fiber.
19 cookies on this tray

In making the decision to leave out oats, I kind of panicked, and ate the whole batch before I enacted my no-oats decision.  In less than 24 hours I ate 18 oatmeal cookies (my roommate tried one).  Yup, I'm saying that.  I think it gives truth to how good these cookies are, and hey, if you're AIP, you know how hard it is to follow a strict diet!  I have been following AIP for roughly four months and I still make mistakes.
The butter wrapper makes a good pan greaser
Anyways, this recipe makes roughly 20 cookies.  The end result is crumbly, so I suggest letting them cool completely before eating them, and eat them over a plate.
See the gooey oatmeal inside?
Yield: 20 cookies

Ingredients

  • ¼ C oats
  • C coconut flour
  • ½ C tigernut flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ C shredded coconut
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ginger
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • ¼ C coconut oil (liquid)
  • 1 ½ sticks butter (soft)
  • 4 egg yolks
  • ¼ C + 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • ¼ C + 1 tbsp oat milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • ⅔ C raisins

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F
  2. In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together (oats, flours, baking powder, coconut, spices)
  3. In a separate large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and mash the butter together
  4. Mix in the coconut oil, maple syrup, oat milk, and vanilla to the yolks and butter
  5. Grease two cookie sheets (I use the wrapper from the sticks of butter)
  6. Slowly add and mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients
  7. Mix in raisins
  8. Scoop out balls the size of about 2 or 3 tablespoons, press them just slightly into a disk shape, and put them on the cookie sheet
  9. Bake in oven at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes
  10. Take out and cool for 5 to 8 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely
Substitutions
- any milk for the oat milk
- 2 full eggs for the 4 egg yolks

No comments:

Post a Comment