Saturday, August 24, 2019

Healthy Oatmeal Cookies

These are healthy oatmeal cookies!  They're so nutritious, with oats, coconut, and raisins; I have them for breakfast!

Healthy Oatmeal Cookie
Just like the granola, this is an older recipe that needed to be worked on.  I made these cookies over and over again so that they had the perfect taste, moisture, texture, and didn't crumble into pieces.  It was a little easier this time since I am not following strict AIP anymore.  The butter and eggs really make a difference!  Now I feel pretty confident posting this recipe for you guys!

I'm a sucker for oatmeal cookies.  My family has a recipe that we've made together since I was a little kid.  Being as nostalgic as I am, I had to try and develop a recipe that tastes just as good without any white flour or refined sugar.

We LOVE the cookie dough!

Oats have a lot of nutrients and they are a great source of soluble fiber.  Like any food with a lot of fiber, if you eat too much, it may cause a stomachache.  I think that's the only thing that holds me back from eating the whole batch.  Seriously, for some reason, I have really good self control but not with oatmeal cookies.  They just call me for me...


The first time I made these, way back in April, I ate 18 oatmeal cookies in less than 24 hours.  Yup, I'm saying that.  I think it gives truth to how good these cookies are, and hey, if you're AIP, you know how hard it is to follow a strict diet!  I had only reintroduced egg yolks and oats at that time, and I had been following AIP for roughly four months.

Anyways, this recipe makes roughly 20 cookies, or 15 large ones.  Without gluten, the end result is a bit delicate, so I suggest letting them cool completely and eating them over a plate.


Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
Nut-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Gluten-free
Yield: 20 cookies, or 15 large cookies
Serving size: 1 to 2 cookies
Ingredients
  • ¼ C oats
  • C coconut flour
  • ¼ C + 2 tbsp tigernut flour
  • 2 tbsp tapioca starch
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ C shredded coconut
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ginger
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • ¼ C coconut oil (soft)
  • 1 ½ sticks butter (room temperature)
  • 2 eggs (room temperature)
  • ¼ C + 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • ¼ C + 1 tbsp oat milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 C raisins
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, coconut and tigernut flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, shredded coconut, cinnamon, and ginger
  3. In a separate large bowl, cream together the butter the salt (save the butter wrappers)
  4. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and then add to the butter
  5. Mix in the coconut oil, maple syrup, oat milk, and vanilla to the eggs and butter
  6. Grease a cookie sheet* (I rub the butter wrappers on the cookie sheet)
  7. Slowly add and mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients
  8. Add the raisins and stir well
  9. Scoop out balls the size of about 2 or 3 tablespoons and put them on the cookie sheet, evenly spaced, then gently press down on each ball to flatten it slightly
  10. Bake in oven at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes
  11. Take out and cool for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely
Substitutions
- nut milk (almond, coconut, cashew, etc.) for the oat milk
- arrowroot starch for tapioca starch

Recipe Notes:
*18 inches by 13 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment