Thursday, March 7, 2019

Natural Cold Remedies


I've had a nasty cold for the past five-ish days, and after passing it along to my roommate I think I'm finally getting over it.  It started out with a sore throat and a dry cough, and then my nose got extremely congested.  And the air is so dry here that I got painful scabs inside my nose. I couldn't sleep, or dance, and I did not like walking outside in the cold!  This is my first case of being sick where I'm not allowed to take medicine.  Nyquil is not AIP!  There's a bunch of unnatural ingredients to give it that weird color and flavor.  I couldn't find any other helpful medicines either.  So I asked my mom, searched the internet, and came up with a list of natural cold remedies.  If you're feeling miserable, it doesn't hurt to try it, am I right?



1. Water
We're supposed to be drinking a lot of water anyways, but most of us neglect it.  Carry around a water bottle with you at all times!  When you're sick, chances are you are dehydrated, and if the air is dry, then you're throat and nose are going to get dry too.  Water is the most important nutrient!

2. Tea, Lemon, Ginger, and Honey
Lemon, honey, and ginger can help ease a sore throat and cough, and they each have different vitamins and immune system benefits.  I suggest drinking lemon ginger tea with honey in it.  Any herbal tea is good during a cold though, because it's warm and cozy and relaxing.

3. Sleep
You should have heard of this before but I'll remind you again, sleep should be a priority!  Especially when you're sick.  Make time to go to bed early and sleep in.  It will save time in the long run, because you'll recover faster.

4. Garlic, Onion, and Sea Salt
These foods have anti-inflammatory properties.

5. Bone Broth
You can pretend it's chicken noodle soup.  Bone broth has so many nutrients and healing properties for the body!  If you are too sick to eat garlic and onions, this is easier on the stomach.

6. Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, and Peppermint Essential Oils
This can help a stuffy nose.  I have a scent diffuser that uses water vapor, so it's also beneficial as a humidifier, which is helpful in dry weather.

7. Elderberry Syrup
Apparently elderberry syrup has been used throughout history.  It helps with the symptoms of the cold and can shorten it.  I think of it kind of like cough syrup, except it tastes so much better!

8. Zinc and Vitamin C
Vitamin C helps your body fight off the infection and zinc can help with healing and reducing stress as well.  I suggest supplements or foods high in zinc and vitamin C.

And for those with scabs in their nose like me...
9. Petroleum jelly
It may feel really weird, but put petroleum jelly in your nostrils.  I suggest doing it before bed so you can sleep through the night without blowing your nose.  It helps soften the scab tissue so you can usually blow the scab right off the next morning, and it helps prevent new scabs from forming because it moisturizes the skin inside your nose, so it doesn't crack and bleed from the dry air.

I hope you find this helpful!  Have hope, colds WILL pass, you just have to be patient.  And be gentle with yourself, take the time and energy to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment